Re: Just downloaded 0.6.0 to try on my 3310...

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: Just downloaded 0.6.0 to try on my 3310...
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:23:28 +0100

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 01:38:14PM +0200, Pawel Kot wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Ian Collier wrote:
> > I'm trying out gnokii 0.6.0 with my shiny new data cable for a Nokia 3310
> > handset.  Kudos to the project developers for providing phone software that
> > doesn't require Windows!  (I'm running it on an ancient Red Hat.)
> Thanks for so detailed report. It is very useful.

Thanks for the response. :-)

[ringtones]
> >    gnokii complains that the data is in invalid format - and if I add
> >    the -raw option then the retrieved data just looks like garbage.

> Is the saved ringtone available from the phone?

Yes, mostly...

The RTTL file says: d=16,o=2,b=80:g1,c,d#,8g [etc]
which, being expanded, should mean: 16g1 16c2 16d#2 8g2 [etc].
If I select it as my ringtone then the phone plays it perfectly.
If I [switch the phone off and on, then] select it in the Composer
then it says: 16g1 16c2 16#d1 8g1 [etc].  As you will see, some of
the octave numbers are wrong, and it plays wrongly in the Composer.

If I select it as my ring tone and play it *then* try to view it in
the Composer then the Composer appears completely blank.  How very
mysterious.

> Could you please send us:
>  - debug output when you save the ringtone
>  - debug output when retrieving it
> ?

I've put a typescript with links to the log files here:
http://users.comlab.ox.ac.uk/ian.collier/Misc/gnokii/ringtone.html

I also noted that "getringtonelist" didn't seem to work.

> >  - The BMP input filter seems confused: if I use --viewlogo with a BMP
> >    file for input, the output doesn't seem to make any sense.

> That's strange. Last time I was fixing bitmap support I was testing it
> with BMP files. Need to look into this.

Further, I've noted that --setlogo works fine with a BMP image but --viewlogo
doesn't.  For details see:
http://users.comlab.ox.ac.uk/ian.collier/Misc/gnokii/viewlogo.html

> >  - The XPM input filter seems to work, but the files I've tried
> >    seem to have been interpreted in reverse video.

> Is it reversed in the phone or using --viewlogo?

Both - though I've discovered that it doesn't happen with all XPM files.
The above link has examples.  The non-working XPM was created with xv;
the working one was created with ImageMagick.  However, xv, xli and
ImageMagick all agree that both XPMs are valid.

> >  - Wishlist item: a PBM input filter (should be fairly trivial if you
> >    can get BMP to work).

> Okay. What is the library that supports PBM?

You should have a libpbm.so on your system, but you don't actually need
one.  The first line of the file should say "P4".  Now read another line
from the file, but discard and re-read it if the first character is '#'.
You should now have two numbers (in ASCII, decimal notation, with a
space between) which you can read with sscanf.  This is the width and
height of the bitmap.  The rest of the file is uncompressed binary data
with '1' for black and '0' for white - the only thing you need to watch
out for is that each line of pixels is padded to a multiple of 8 (so
that it's a whole number of bytes).  "man 5 pbm" will probably give
you some more info.

> >  - I can send a startup logo to my phone; I can then re-fetch it and
> >    get the same logo back (though I don't understand the file format
> >    it uses and there don't seem to be any docs or a conversion program
> >    for it).  However, the phone doesn't actually display the logo on
> >    startup, so I'm not sure what the good of it is. :-)

> The format should be quite similiar to NOL file (see Docs/logos.txt) but
> it is definitely worth documentation. And checking what's going wrong.

However, NOL is an ASCII file whereas the startup logo is a binary file.

> >  - The "network code" option when sending an operator logo is a bit
> >    confusing; no matter what network code I specify, gnokii says
> >    it's dealing with operator 000 00 (unknown).
> You have to use your operator code. Otherwise the phone won't show it.
> Could you please say when gnokii says your operator code is 000 00?

I've found out a bit more about this...

Apparently my phone can only store one operator logo, and it knows which
network the logo is for.  So, consider the following dialogue:

$ gnokii --setlogo op iansphone.xpm "234 15"
GNOKII Version 0.6.0
Done.
[logo on phone changes to the given bitmap]
$ gnokii --getlogo op oplogo.test "234 33"
[gnokii displays the correct logo from the phone]
Operator logo for 234 15 (Vodafone) network got succesfully

So, it didn't matter what network code I asked it to fetch - it fetched
the current operator logo.

$ gnokii --setlogo op iansphone.xpm "234 33"

Now the logo on my phone disappears and it returns to the default
text "Vodafone UK".  Presumably the logo would only show if I were
connected to the Orange network.

$ gnokii --getlogo op oplogo.test "234 15"
Operator logo for 234 33 (ORANGE) network got succesfully

Again it fetches the logo stored in the phone, no matter what the network code.

$ gnokii --setlogo op iansphone.xpm
[phone changes back to the logo]
$ gnokii --getlogo op oplogo.test
[gnokii displays the logo]
Operator logo for 234 15 (Vodafone) network got succesfully

If I miss out the network code from the command, it sets the logo for the
current operator (namely Vodafone).

Now, when I first got the phone, there was no logo stored in it, and
this not-a-logo had no network code.  When I asked gnokii to fetch the
operator logo, it said:

Operator logo for 000 00 (Unknown) network got succesfully

And that's why it said my operator code was "000 00".  Does that make sense?

imc