Re: Using MA 8620E

From: Aart Koelewijn
Subject: Re: Using MA 8620E
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 14:42:16 +0200

Op di, 05-09-2006 te 11:30 +0200, schreef Stefano Mattana:
> Hi All
>
> I'm Stefano, a new subscriber of this list.
>
> I'm tring to connect my pc to internet through a nokia 6610i,
> I'm connecting my phone with a MA 8620 E cable, the kernel load the correct
> module, and gnokii can communicate with the phone using the ttyUSB device.
>
> The problem is when I try to initialize the modem with the At command to set
> the apn (at+cgdcont=1,"IP","my_provider_apn"), the modem returns me an ERROR.

I use a 6610i to connect my laptop to internet but use infrared (irda),
no cable. For connection to internet you don't need gnokii.

Steps to take:

1 - make sure you can connect to the internet with your phone, can you
for instance get the home-page of the provider on your phone. Your
provider can tell you how this is done.

2 - on my laptop I use the command "/usr/sbin/pppd call provider"

and in /etc/ppp/peers there is a file "provider" with as main commands
the following:

modem crtscts defaultroute

connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v TIMEOUT 30 ABORT BUSY ABORT ERROR ABORT\
 "NO CARRIER" "" AT OK-AT-OK ATZ OK ATD*99***1# CONNECT'

It works just like a dial-up connection with a normal phone, the only
special thing is the dial-string "ATD*99***1#"

If your cable is ok you can use that in the same way.

Those are the main things, you might have to play around a bit with
other parameters for pppd, but the log files will help you with that.
You could also use kppp for instance instead of using pppd directly, but
I have never used kppp, so can't help you with that.

Aart