Nokia 6300 with bluetooth and USB cable

From: rozelak
Subject: Nokia 6300 with bluetooth and USB cable
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:47:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

let mi say that I KNOW that 6300 model IS NOT under supported models
listed at http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Config.

My question(s) is, if "is it possible that the phone works (at least

partially) with bluetooth, but not with USB cable. Here is the whole
story:

I have tried to connect the phone with PC via USB cable and I have tried
to use gnokii to access it. The 'dmesg' output looks like:

[ 3185.196000] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
address 2
[ 3185.372000] usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 3185.856000] drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: Ignoring extra header, type
-3, length 4
[ 3185.856000] cdc_acm 3-2:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 3185.860000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[ 3185.860000] drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control
Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

and '.gnokiirc' file configured for USB looks like:

[global]
port = /dev/ttyACM0
model = AT
initlength = default
connection = dku2libusb
use_locking = no
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10

[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/

[connect_script]
TELEPHONE = 12345678
[disconnect_script]

[logging]
debug = on
rlpdebug = off
xdebug = off

But the attempt to do 'gnokii --identify' or 'gnokii --getphonebook SM
1 end' fails with message:

GNOKII Version 0.6.14
Telephone interface init failed: Function or connection type not supported
by the phone.
Quitting.
Function or connection type not supported by the phone.

I have made the device writable to anyone:  ls -all /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 166, 0 2007-08-02 21:37 /dev/ttyACM0

The same message appered even for 'dku2' and 'dku5' connection settings.
The file .gnokii-errors is, however, empty. How to enable logging? I
gues it is enabled in the config, isn't it? Or where the log is supposed
to be located?

OK, now go to the even stranger think. I used the phone with bluetooth
(I do not have bluetooth on my computer, so I wish the USB connection
working; for the experiment I have to borrow USB bluetooth). I have
changed the config to be:

[global]
port = ---address of bluetooth---
model = AT
initlength = default
connection = bluetooth
use_locking = no
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10

[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/

[connect_script]
TELEPHONE = 12345678

[disconnect_script]

[logging]
debug = on
rlpdebug = off
xdebug = off

I have started and configured bluetooth and misteriously, the
command 'gnokii --identify' worked:

GNOKII Version 0.6.14
IMEI         : 356261011722228
Manufacturer : Nokia
Model        : Nokia 6300
Product name : Nokia 6300
Revision     : V 04.70

Similarly the command 'gnokii --getphonebook SM 1 end' provides the following
output (shortened):

GNOKII Version 0.6.14
2. Name: MEDLIN ROS.
Group: Family
3. Name: RAMPA
Group: Family

So, what is wrong with USB connection? Why it does not work when bluetooth
works? What to check or how to provide you with usefull debug output?
What to do/how to help to get it working?

And why the --getphonebook  does not print the phone numbers and why
it
prints 'family' group for all adress book items (the people listed does
not belong to the family group in phone :-)). However, I expect that
this may be caused by the fact that the phone is oficially "unsupported".

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Dan

My system is
- gentoo 2007.0 on IBM ThinkPad laptop
- kernel version: 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 (gcc version 3.4.6 PREEMPT)
- gnokii version: 0.6.14-r2  30.05.2007, installed from gentoo portage
tree