Re: cannot access SMS IN memory on W800

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: cannot access SMS IN memory on W800
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 16:33:56 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 15:35, Marcus Better <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to receive SMS with smsd on my SonyEricsson W800, but get "The
> given memory location is invalid." I think the problem is with the IN memory
> type.

There's no problem. Quoting fine manual:
              For the memory types you  usually  use SM  for  the SIM card and
              ME for the phone memory. The exception are the phones supported
              by nk7110  (Nokia  7110/6210/6250)  and nk6510  (Nokia
              6310/6510/8310) drivers.
And I don't think smsd forces to use IN memory type. There may be
other problem though as the message you quote doesn't say anything
about memory type but about a location. That's probably due to
location 0 problem. First you can show debug log for that, second you
can do hacky change in smsd/lowlevel.c

    if ((error = gn_sms_get (&data, sm)) == GN_ERR_INVALIDLOCATION)
      smsdConfig.firstSMS = 1;
    else
      smsdConfig.firstSMS = 0;

change it to:

    smsdConfig.firstSMS = 1;

Does somebody have a phone with supported memory location 0?

> I'm able to use --sendsms, and also --getsms with memory type ME, but I don't
> see messages in my inbox. Is there anything I can do about it?

Your inbox messages are either in ME or in SM.

> ~$ gnokii --showsmsfolderstatus
> No. Name                               Id #Msg
>  0 Internal memory                    ME   46
>  1 SIM card                           SM    0

gnokii says you precisely that you can read from ME or SM...

> ~$ gnokii --getsms IN 1

... and you still trying to read from IN. Really, there's just a bit
logic required...

You can use the following commands with minicom to check supported
memory types for your phone:
AT+CPMS? -- to get supported memory types
AT+CPMS=? -- to get used memory types of incoming or outgoing sms.

Pawel Kot