SMS Receiving problem - Nokia 5500

From: Aris L
Subject: SMS Receiving problem - Nokia 5500
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 03:39:19 +0300

Hello,

I'm new to your community. These days I'm trying to install an SMS gateway using my mobile phone (NOKIA 5500) and have an ...unknown problem.

To be more specific:
"gnokii -smsreader"  doesn't work. Instead it prints:
"GNOKII Version 0.6.27
Error: Unknown error - well better than nothing!!"

I have to say that call monitor works fine, if this has something to do with the reliability of the connection - I'll list my actions in the end, if somebody suspects a problem there.

As I've read on the wiki, this is quite expected, so I use the deamon, which is supposed to solve this problem.

I install the daemon, database etc, and then I type the command
~$ /usr/sbin/smsd -u root -p '1234' -d smsgw -c localhost -m mysql -b IN -f /var/log/smsdaemon.log

The result is:
lowlevel.c:465 error: 8, Unknown error - well better than nothing!!
lowlevel.c:465 error: 8, Unknown error - well better than nothing!!
lowlevel.c:465 error: 8, Unknown error - well better than nothing!!
lowlevel.c:465 error: 8, Unknown error - well better than nothing!!

This happens for other memory types I used, so it seems that the problem is not there.

Actions:
Gnokii seems to identify my phone, though can't match the model. So what appears is:

GNOKII Version 0.6.27
IMEI         : 351..........71
Manufacturer : Nokia
Model        : Nokia
Product name : Nokia
Revision     : V  04.60

gnokiirc file:

[global]
model = AT
port = /dev/ttyACM0
connection = serial

showsmsfolder status prints:

GNOKII Version 0.6.27
No. Name                               Id #Msg

I use ubuntu 9.10, kernel version: 2.6.31-21-generic

Thanks a lot in advance,
Aris

--
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind,
People livin' in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind.