Problem sending multipart messages with Motorola V3

From: Renato Duarte Soffiatto
Subject: Problem sending multipart messages with Motorola V3
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:01:22 -0300

Hi,

I am trying develop a application that process some incoming SMS and replies according. I am using a Motorola V3 Razr connected through a USB cable on a Ubuntu 10.4. The SMSs are being received correctly, but I am having problems to send the reply.

When the resply is sent as a single SMS, everything work as expected. But when the text of the message is long and have to be sent in multipart mode, gnokii and smsd crash with a Timeout. After this, the communication with the phone stays locked, and I have to physically remove and reattach the USB cable to be able to send and receive messages again.

Information:
Phone Model: Motorola V3 Razr
Manufacturer : Motorola CE, Copyright 2004
Model        : GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","GS
Product name : GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","GS
Revision     : R374_G_0E.40.64R

Connection Type: USB Cable

gnokii version:
    0.6.28 from Ubuntu Lucid Repo