Re: something wrong in my .config file not able to use gnokii :(

From: shirish शिरीष
Subject: Re: something wrong in my .config file not able to use gnokii :(
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:53:35 +0530

At bottom :-

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 04:51, Daniele Forsi <address@hidden> wrote:

<snipped>

> see:
> http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/DKU2
> http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Bug_report

First of all thank you Daniele Forsi for getting back to me. I had
looked at the links you had given.

First of all the cable I have is the usb cable CA-101D.
http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/memory-cards-and-cables/cables/nokia-connectivity-cable-ca-101d

Now this is the config file I've done :-

# This is a sample config file for unix-like systems.  See Windows/gnokiirc
# for a Windows sample.
#
# Copy this file into $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gnokii/config (which is
# $HOME/.config/gnokii/config in most cases) and change port, connection and
# model settings following the comments below.  See
# http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Config for working examples.
#

[global]
model = series40
port = 1
connection = phonet
#values taken from http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/DKU2 and also seen

# Set port to the physical port used to connect to your phone.
#port = none

# Then using phone connected to the serial port (not USB) you should
# use (for Linux):
# port = /dev/ttyS0
#
# For MacOSX you will need something like:
# port = /dev/cu.USA28X1P1.1
#
# FreeBSD (probably NetBSD and OpenBSD too) use:
# port = /dev/cuaa0
#
# With Linux-IrDA you will want to use
# port = /dev/ircomm0
# or similiar.
#
# Use this setting also for the Bluetooth connection:
# port = aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
# when using it with AT driver set it to:
# port = /dev/rfcomm0
# or similiar.
#
# For the Linux USB cables you will need one of the following settings (or
# similiar)
# port = /dev/ttyUSB0
# port = /dev/tts/USB0
# port = /dev/ttyACM0
# the last one will work only with AT driver. The correct setting should be
# given in the dmesg output.
#
# If you use connection type dku2libusb use it to denote which use endpoint
# you'd wish to use. It is useful when you have more than one phone connected
# to your computer using DKU2 cable. Numbering goes from 1 upwards.
# Default is 1.
#port = 1
#
# If you use connection type phonet use it to denote the network device to use.
# See README-6510 for more details.
#port = usbpn0

# Change it according to instructions
#model = series40
# Set model to the model number of your phone. For the
# Symbian phones use:
# model = symbian
#
# For other non-Nokia phones and when you want to use AT
# mode use:
# model = AT
#
# If you can't figure out what to put here read the FAQ.
# If it still doesn't help, consult gnokii-ml or #gnokii at freenode.
# For Nokia phones (non-Symbian), most likely you'll need:
# model = 6510
# There are few main models that when chosen should make use of the
# appropriate drivers. These are: 6110, 7110, 6510, 3110, 2110, 6160.

# Set IrDA device name.
# If you use irda connection you may want gnokii to autodetect the irda
# device it connects to. This is fine for most of the cases. if you have
# more than one device in range you may want to give manually the device
# name so gnokii correctly recognizes it. Use the name that you can see
# in the discovery log when the phone with infrared is in the range of
# your irda port.
# Note that you need to set this for each phone_ section separately. It
# isn't nested from the global section.
# irda_string = Nokia 6610i

# Initlength controls the number of characters sent to the
# phone during initialisation.  You can either set it to
# the word "default" or a positive integer.
#
# You can try setting this value if you want to connect
# to the phone quicker.  If you've never noticed the
# connection to be slow, it is suggested that you
# leave this alone.  Read the initialisation code in fbus-xxxx
# to understand what this changes if you're curious.
initlength = default

# Most USB cables for Nokia phones should work with the libusb driver
# (recommended)
# connection = dku2libusb
# and with the new kernel driver (Linux 2.6.28+)
#connection = phonet
# If you have 6210/6250/7110 phone and dau9p cable (the one you can
# use with 6100 series and cannot use hardware modem from the phone)
# you may want to use 'dau9p' value to get faster initialization.
# If you use dlr3 or dlr3p cable for nokia phones in FBUS mode (ie.
# you don't use model = AT) you may want to use 'dlr3p' value here.
# Note that it is recommended and currently the best way to use this
# cable with nk6510 driver.
#connection = serial
# With DKU-2 cable use the following setting with the now unsupported Linux
# kernel driver that was provided with older libgnokii versions:
# connection = dku2
# With DKU-5 cable use the following setting
# connection = dku5
# For Bluetooth and AT driver use the following setting
# connection = serial
# For other Bluetooth settings use
# connection = bluetooth
# For infrared connection with phones other than Nokia 6110/6130/6150 use:
# connection = irda
# Don't forget to run: 'irattach irda0 -s' or similiar before running gnokii
# For the nk6110 driver only connection=infrared is valid for IrDA.
# See Docs/gnokii-ir-howto for more detailes on this.
# For connection with a PC/SC compatible Smart Card reader use:
# connection = pcsc

# Set this to 'yes' if you want gnokii to set and check the lock file in
# /var/lock directory. It avoids potential conflicts with other serial
# port software (eg. minicom). If you have wrong permissions for the
# directory, a warning will be generated. If you don't want a lockfile, set
# it to 'no'.
use_locking = no

# Baudrate to use on serial port connections.
# Currently used only by models AT and BIP/CIMD. Defaults to 19200.
#serial_baudrate = 19200

# Force waiting after each sent character the specified usec time.
# Value -1 forces the fastest 'block' writing,
# value 0 writes each character separately without any explicit waiting,
# other positive values specify the appropriate 1/1000000 sec delaying.
# Siemens M20 requires at least "1"!  FIXME: Model-driven autodetection
#serial_write_usleep = 10000

# Force serial port handshaking mode, useful primarily for "AT" model.
# Gnokii "AT" model uses software handshake by default.
# Possible values: hardware (RTS/CTS - 7 wires) or software (XON/XOFF - 3 wires)
#handshake = software

# If defined (not commented out by '#') it will quit Gnokii anytime
# when DCD line will drop.
#require_dcd = 1

# If you are using a bluetooth connection, you can specify the rfcomm
# channel number here. If you don't specify the value, it is autodetected
# on connection (it may take an additional second). FBUS connections always
# ignore this value and use channel 14.
#rfcomm_channel = 1

# There may happen various timeouts during the communication with the phone.
# This parameter enables the retransmission policy. Ie. if the phone doesn't
# respond, we send the frame again. This happened mainly with the older
# phones. You may want to enable it when you see mysterious timeouts.
# Be very careful with this option. It is suspected to cause phone breakage
# with new DCT4 phones (like Nokia 6100). By default it is switched off
# (sm_retry = 0)
#sm_retry = 1

# Run the specified script(s) right after opening and initializing the device
# and before any communication (right before closing for disconnect_script).
# You may find handy to use it to connect your modem to SMS Center
# when using BIP or CIMD protocols
# Non-absolute path is relative to the specific directory where gnokii is run!
#connect_script = /absolute/path/to/gnokii/Docs/sample/cimd-connect
#disconnect_script =

# When sending SMS you can experience timeouts. This is the feature of the
# overloaded SMSCs. The phones waits for the response from the SMSC confirming
# that it received the short message. When the SMSC is DoSed with many requests
# it will take more time to get the response. Adjust it to your needs. The
# value is given in seconds to wait. Defaults to 10 seconds. Set to 0 to wait
# forever.
#smsc_timeout = 10

# Set this to 1 if you want to break your phone with xgnokii. Works only
# with few Nokia models and FBUS communication
[xgnokii]
#allow_breakage = 0

# Set bindir to point to the location of the various gnokiid binaries.
# In particular ensure that mgnokiidev is in this location, with
# permissions 4750, owned by root, group gnokii.  Ensure you
# are in the gnokii group and that the group exists...
[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/sbin/

# Any entries in the following two sections will be set as environment
# variables when running the scripts.
# Handy for use for $VAR substitutions in your chat(8) script.
[connect_script]
# Don't put your phone number here!!!
#TELEPHONE = 12345678

[disconnect_script]

# The following parameters control how libgnokii handles the debugging messages.
# Currently there are three categories: "debug" controls the libgnokii
# normal debug output, "rlpdebug" controls the debug output of the RLP
# subsystem, and "xdebug" is used by the xgnokii or smsd.

[logging]

# where to log the debug output (on: stderr, off: /dev/null)
debug = on

# where to log the rlp debug output (on: stderr, off: /dev/null)
rlpdebug = off

# where to log X debug output (on: stderr, off: /dev/null)
xdebug = off

# Fake-phone can be used for testing Gnokii functionality without
# having a physical phone connected.
# Example usage:
# gnokii --config gnokiirc --phone fake --identify
[phone_fake]
#port = foobar
#model = fake
#connection = serial

# This is internal configuration for fake driver. The purpose is mostly
# testing only.
[fake_driver]
#sms_inbox = /tmp/sms

The only things which are not commented are the global values :-

[global]
model = series40
port = 1
connection = phonet

initlength = default (this I have no idea should it be on or commented ?)
use_locking = no (dunno if this makes some difference or not ? )

[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/sbin/

This is taken as its both the things requested are there :-

$ dpkg -L gnokii-cli
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/sendsms
/usr/bin/gnokii
/usr/share
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/sendsms.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/gnokii.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/mgnokiidev.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/gnokiid.8.gz
/usr/share/locale
/usr/share/locale/cs
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/nl
/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/fi
/usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/de
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/sv
/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/zh_CN
/usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/pl
/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/pt
/usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/it
/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/sl
/usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/fr
/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/sk
/usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/locale/et
/usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo
/usr/share/doc
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/gnokiid
/usr/sbin/mgnokiidev
/usr/share/doc/gnokii-cli

Now as far as gnokii --version is concerned its :-

$ gnokii --version
GNOKII Version 0.6.30
Copyright (C) Hugh Blemings <address@hidden>, 1999, 2000
Copyright (C) Pavel Janik ml. <address@hidden>, 1999, 2000
Copyright (C) Pavel Machek <address@hidden>, 2001
Copyright (C) Pawel Kot <address@hidden>, 2001-2009
Copyright (C) BORBELY Zoltan <address@hidden>, 2002
Copyright (C) Daniele Forsi <address@hidden>, 2004-2009
gnokii is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
There is absolutely no warranty for gnokii.  See GPL for details.
Built 22:11:12 Apr 23 2011

There is one problem area though, I seem to have two libusb versions
installed. I am on Debian sid and some apps. are using libusb-1.0.0
while others are still using the old ones.

19:39:57 address@hidden: ~$ dpkg -l libusb-0.1-4
||/ Name                             Version
Description
+++-================================-================================-================================================================================
ii  libusb-0.1-4                     2:0.1.12-19
userspace USB programming library
19:40:07 address@hidden: ~$ dpkg -l libusb-1.0-0
||/ Name                             Version
Description
+++-================================-================================-================================================================================
ii  libusb-1.0-0                     2:1.0.8-6
userspace USB programming library

Now this is what is happening when I try to use gnokii --identify

 $ gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.30
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /home/shirish/.config/gnokii/config.
phone instance config:
model = series40
port = 1
connection = phonet
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Connecting
Serial device: opening device 1
socket: Operation not permitted
Couldn't open PHONET device: Operation not permitted
Error in link initialisation: 1
Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
Quitting.
Command failed.

I think one of the issues is with the

'Couldn't open PHONET device: Operation not permitted'

Now I haven't done the instructions given at
http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/DKU2#Setting_permissions_for_libusb
as I'm not connection=dku2lib, do I need to do this even if I'm using
phonet as cpnnection ?  The wiki page does not make this clear or at
least its not clear to me.

As far as my user being in group plugdev is concerned, he's member of
that group.

$ groups
shirish cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev bluetooth scanner

First if possible let me know if :-

a. Is something is wrong in my config file?
b. The confusion of being with dkulib and phonet, what to use and what to do ?

It would be nice to have some idea, maybe I did something silly, dunno.

Lastly here's my kernel version

$ uname -r
3.1.0-1-amd64

--