Re: authentication on init for smsd

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: authentication on init for smsd
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:04:03 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 14:44, Jan Derfinak <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011, Pawel Kot wrote:
>> I have implemented the new feature for gnokii (branch auth_on_init at
>> address@hidden:pkot/gnokii.git) that allows authentication on init
>> when required (common use case: usb modem). The solution for xgnokii
>
> Do I understand right that this equivalent to AT+CPIN ?
> If yes, it is very useful function.

Yes. It involves AT+CPIN in most common case. But there are some other
scenarios for special devices as well.

>> entered). However the bigger question is for smsd. We have two out of
>> the box solutions:
>>  - interactive asking for pin
>
> No, this is not how smsd is used.

I know that. Just telling what is out of the box.

>>  - storing pin in the file
>> But I can see some more options:
>>  - passing it as the invocation argument
>>  - having some db configuration
>
> All these are fine. Keep on mind that smsd can use more modems at the same
> time. So configuration must distinguish between modems. Therefore I see hard
> to implenent it as invocation argument. Using file for file module is the
> only way and db modules can use both, the file or db (in configuration table
> I want to introduce).

Agree. The implementation is currently not phone aware, but it is the
next thing on todo list here.

> Do you have any documentation of this new function or I should learn it from
> source? I will take care about it.

Please note that it is work in progress. The documentation will
improve (and change) over next days/weeks. Currently you can look at
three places:
1. git commit message
https://github.com/pkot/gnokii/commit/d00086ee875738987ea579d7393009bf8e02eeee
2. updated gnokiirc sample