Re: problem with 8bit characters

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: Re: problem with 8bit characters
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:00:56 +0200

2012/4/14 alonso acuña:

> When sending from gnokii this works only if I sent the -8 option on the
> command line.

so you have been lucky because 8bit format means "binary data" and it
isn't supposed to work with the default SMS application of a phone, in
fact those messages should be silenty discarded by the phone if there
isn't a special application on the specific port referenced in the SMS

> I don't know if this is a bug or somehow my error.

you didn't give enough details to tell where the problem is

first provide the debug output[1] of gnokii --sendsms without -8 and
use the fake driver[2] since it produces less output; the default
gnokiirc has a [fake] section so you can use this line:

echo -n "ñó" | gnokii --phone fake --sendsms 0

whatever the encoding of your terminal, the SMS should be encoded in
the same way (UCS2 in this case since ó is not part of the Default GSM
Alphabet)

[1] http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Bug_report
[2] http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Fake_driver
--