Re: which usb device to use (old kernel)

From: Warren Burstein
Subject: Re: which usb device to use (old kernel)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:29:40 +0300

Thanks, that was just what I needed.  The phone is at a remote location and I haven't gotten anyone there to get into its setup menu for me, but I connected a different phone to a linux where I am with a newer kernel and saw the same thing -  lssub -v only displayed a Mass Storage interface.  I fiddled with the phone's settings, got it to display a Communications interface via lsub, udev created /dev/ttyACM0 and it worked with gnokii.

So I told the people at the other location to figure out how to change a phone to have a Communications interface, and to find me a linux with a 2.6 kernel and udev.

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Daniele Forsi <address@hidden> wrote:
2013/5/27 Warren Burstein:

> Should I do something else to locate the correct device?  Do I need to do
> something else to get the device to work?

The easiest things are checking in phone menus if you need to activate
USB communication and try connecting it to a different computer with a
more recent kernel to see which driver gets bound to it.

usbserial isn't necessarily the right driver, in fact many phones are
handled by cdc_acm

the verbose output of lsusb can give you a hint of what your phone is
capable of:
lsusb --verbose -d 0fce:

with my phone the lines that tell me that I can try model=AT in
gnokii's config are:
      bInterfaceClass         2 Communications
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Abstract (modem)
      bInterfaceProtocol      1 AT-commands (v.25ter)

--
Daniele Forsi