Re: Trying to connect over Irda Timeport P7389i to Dell D620 (built-in I

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: Re: Trying to connect over Irda Timeport P7389i to Dell D620 (built-in Irda) on Ubuntu.
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 14:45:57 +0200

> port = /dev/ttyS1

my bad, when the port used by irattach it isn't available for applications

I hooked up my motherboard IrDA adapter to get a configuration similar to yours

there are two typical configurations that can be used with gnokii
(depending on operating system and phone model you can use other
combinations)

for completeness I'll mention also the configuration that can be used
only with Nokias handled by model = 6510, this won't work for you but
it's what you have configured so far, it only needs a suitable
irattach command:

# irattach /dev/ttyS1 -s
this only loads the kernel modules needed for irda networking
# lsmod | grep ir
irtty_sir              12761  2
sir_dev                17141  1 irtty_sir
irda                   90261  1 sir_dev
crc_ccitt              12331  1 irda

this works with:
connection = irda
port = ignored
model = series40

in this case you can use irda_string

the other typical configuration can be used only with model=AT, after
irattach you must create a /dev/ircomm* device using modprobe
ircomm_tty

# irattach /dev/ttyS1 -s
# modprobe ircomm_tty
this creates the /dev/ircomm* devices
# lsmod | grep ir
ircomm_tty             22943  0
ircomm                 14110  1 ircomm_tty
irtty_sir              12761  2
sir_dev                17141  1 irtty_sir
irda                   90261  3 sir_dev,ircomm_tty,ircomm
crc_ccitt              12331  1 irda

this works with:
connection = serial
port = /dev/ircomm0
model = AT

irda_string is ignored in this case

I tested those two configurations with my Nokia 5300, the second
configuration should work for you too after you run modprobe
ircomm_tty, can you confirm it?

--
Daniele Forsi