Re: sony-ericsson p910i

From: Walter Cazzola
Subject: Re: sony-ericsson p910i
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:00:07 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Daniele,

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Daniele Forsi wrote:

old sony-ericsson p910i

It connects to my laptop (where I'm running Fedora 20) through a craddle
and a usb cable but the KDE "device notifiers" (I don't know the
application name) don't recognize its presence not mount it
automatically.

according to your lsusb the cradle has only a vendor specific
endpoint, not something handled by generic drivers, did you check in
phone menus if you need to enable the use of the phone as a modem
and/or as mass storage?

message was realized with the «PC connect» option but now I'ǘe tried the
same with «modem» and diffing the two files I get exactly the same
result.

Googling around seems that the tool to connect to a smartphone (also old
generation as mine) is gnokii

old? it's unlikely that you will get anything interesting from your
phone with gnokii because the Symbian phones supported by libgnokii
are older than yours and Symbians do not support the commands
supported by older and newer Nokias; you may have better luck with
SyncML if supported by the phone

I don't know what SyncML is or how to install it on my PC/phone.

so your best bet is if you can to a backup on the memory stick and
read it on your PC

The p910i phone supports stick duo pro that don't fit in my sd reader.

Anyway I was able to get a backup as a .ecs files that at the end is a
zip file but ieven though I can open it the only things I can get from
are photos, music and videos all the rest (SMS and phone numbers) is in
a proprietary format that I don't know how to read on linux (or windows). Do you know how to deal with them?

it's also worth trying to use Bluetooth

unfortunately I don't have a pc with bluetooth capabilities.

however I think that neither --getphonebook nor --getsms will work
because they didn't work with phones similar to yours

I see, do you know any alternatives to this?

P. S. there is/was Python port for Symbian that could be able the read
some data from the phone but I don't know if it's compatible with your
phone and how much hassle would be for you to learn it and write a
program to dump your data

Any url to point out? I would give it a try.

Thank you

Walter