Re: Trying to get a Nokia N79 to work

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: Trying to get a Nokia N79 to work
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 17:34:08 +0100

Hello Godfrey,

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 02:01:37PM +0200, Godfrey wrote:
> I have got a Nokia N79 and am trying to set it up to send sms's I am not
> wanting any thing fancy just to send me sms's in addition to the other
> notification methods I already employ for power outages loss of connectivity
> etc etc.
>
> I have managed to get this far and am stuck
>
> Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
> Serial device: opening device /dev/ugen4.2
> Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> No matter what I try I am unable to proceed beyond this point

When I had problems with the cable connection, I was advised on this
list to use bluetooth. It helped.

If you don't want to use bluetooth, then the first step would be to
strace -f -o gnokii.log gnokii --identify (possibly even -e
trace=open,close,read,write,ioctl) to find out which ioctls FreeBSD
doesn't like (FWIW, I didn't have that problems under Linux). If I were
in your shoes, I'd try to return to FreeBSD lists with that information,
since the answer is probably not gnokii-specific.

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.