Re: Recoverable File Deletion System

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Recoverable File Deletion System
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:21:46 -0400

    Richard, founder of this wonderful piece of software that permeates my
    life, (ie, I'm asking this with honest curiousity) Davin asked why his
    code was or was not given consideration for inclusion on the windows
    specific URL for questions about the windows specific distribution of
    GNU Emacs.  Why was it not appropriate?

There is no "Windows-specific distribution of GNU Emacs".
The standard version of GNU Emacs runs on various systems.
That includes Microsoft Windows.

The answer to your question is that it would be counterproductive to
maintain any Emacs features that only work on Windows.  Emacs is part
of GNU, and the purpose of GNU is to replace Windows and other
proprietary operating systems.  See
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

It turns out that trashcan.el is not specifically for Windows, so
maybe some day we will install it in Emacs for use on systems in
general, including GNU.