Re: gspell.el - german spell and grammar checking

From: Toby Cubitt
Subject: Re: gspell.el - german spell and grammar checking
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:01:54 +0100

Sebastian Meisel wrote:
Hund"-haar is wrong, but Hunde"-haar is correct. In both cases gspell.el will mark Hund as probably correct. So it is a help, but still needs the user to know about correct spelling.

German (and indeed French, Spanish and most other European languages other than English) would seem to be a case in which a spell-checker needs to take additional grammatical information into account, rather than simply checking strings against a predefined word list (I know i/aspell is slightly more sophisticated than this). For example, the gender of "Haar".

I guess for most languages, adjective-noun, verb-subject, and gender/number agreement are dismissed as being a job for a grammar-checker, not a spell-checker. German is interesting in that, because of its habit of running multiple words together into one, this same issue suddenly looks more like a job for the spell-checker again.

I agree with Sebastian that i/aspell simply aren't flexible enough for this. Maybe someone else knows if there are any free-software grammar checkers out there that could be used to help with this. Though I don't underestimate the difficulty involved: German with it's weak/strong masculine endings (never did get my head around that one) and other grammatical niceties must be a particular pain for computers. The only one I'm aware of is Link: http://www.link.cs.cmu.edu/link/index.html. But there may be others that take a more traditional approach.

Just my 2 Euro-cents...

Toby