using GUD mode to control interactive environment (like octave)

From: dan
Subject: using GUD mode to control interactive environment (like octave)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:08:14 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I feel this is the best place for this question...

I have created (with very little effort) an octave mode that can
simply allow the user to run octave from within emacs but will also
(automatically) begin behaving as other GUD modes when debugging.

My question is, is there something fundamentally wrong with extending
GUD in this way for this purpose?  Is there some pitfall I have
missed?  If not, why go through the effort of creating seperate octave
and matlab modes?

Thank you,

dan elliott