Re: guitar-tune.el 0.1

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: guitar-tune.el 0.1
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:55:16 -0700

Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> writes:

    Evans Winner <address@hidden> writes:

>> After all, there are only 12 pitch-classes in standard 12tet.

    I don't know enough about sound and music and scales and stuff to
    even understand what that last sentence meant :)

Sorry.  Basically it means that it ought to be fairly easy to make it of
more general use by allowing it to play any of the 12 named notes used
in the ``12-tone, equal-tempered'' scale used in Western music: A, A#,
B, C, C#, etc--as opposed to just the five used in normal guitar tuning
(E, A, D, G and B).

You mentioned a tracker application in Emacs.  There is etracker[1].  Is
that what you are referring to?  There is a youtube video of it in
action[2].

I have the pc speaker module of the kernel on my system disabled
(because try as i might, i could not get the user interface to stop
using it every time i, for example, tried to use tab completion one too
many times) so i can't test it, but, for instance, on many Unix-like
systems there is a `beep' command that can be told what pitch to play on
the generic speaker.  Maybe could try that, though you would lose the
convenience of choosing the timbre of the sound.  Well, just thoughts,
really.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://sonicvariable.goto10.org/index.php?page=EmacsTracker

[2]  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YOigs1lYRY