Re: facebook.el v 0.0.3

From: Maurizio Vitale
Subject: Re: facebook.el v 0.0.3
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:36:49 -0400

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

    rms>     ;;; First pass at interfacing with facebook.  You must add
    rms> the "developers ;;; app" and get your own application api-key
    rms> and application secret key to ;;; use this.

    rms> What is the "developers app"?  Is that a proprietary program?
    rms> It looks that way, but I cannot tell for certain.

I'm not familiar with the facebook situation, but lot of webservices
(Amazon S3 storage for instance) require you to register and obtain a
secret key which is used for authentication and (sometimes) traffic
encription. Registration is typically free (for S3 you pay
for the service, but this is a separate matter).

In the S3 case you don't have to install any proprietary program, but
you still need two secret keys. Think of it as ssh where the other side
tells you the password to use.

    rms> Please do not make postings here that are likely to induce
    rms> people to install proprietary software.