Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [Fwd] (is this a scam?) Open Invention Network

From: Brett Smith
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [Fwd] (is this a scam?) Open Invention Network
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:44:26 -0400

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 11:24 +0200, jaromil wrote:
> do you know about them? from the perspective of a country crippled by
> software patents enforcement, do you think this is a good initiative?
> are the testimonials (among them Eben Moglen) for real?

OIN has contacted several distributions about joining their program.  We
don't have any inherent problem with what they're doing, but we do think
some of the specifics of the agreement aren't as friendly to free
software distributors like you all here as it ideally should be.  RMS
has talked to their chief executive Keith Bergelt about making some
changes accordingly, and we think that distributors like you all here
should not enter the agreement until those changes are made.

> in any case i find it annoying that they keep contacting us, i really
> have no interest in loosing my time dealing with patent nonsense.

I think if you wrote back just to politely decline their offer, they
would probably stop mailing you after that.

Best regards,

--
Brett Smith
License Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

Support the FSF by becoming an Associate Member: http://fsf.org/jf