[GNU-linux-libre] Re: eID-belgium

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: eID-belgium
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:42:56 -0400

    This library PKCS11 cryptographic Can be used for Operations with the
    Belgian electronic identity card. For example, Could you use it to
    authenticate yourself (for example, on a website) or for signing
    electronic documents with a Legally binding signature.

On the one hand, it is good that free software is capable of this,
so that people doing things with these ID cards are not forced
to use proprietary software.

On the other hand, national ID cards are unjust government power,
and the idea that a web site would make people use government ID
to authenticate is scary.

Can we reach the authors of the package and urge them to make
it display a message saying that national ID cards magnify government
surveillance, and should be abolished?

    Personally I do not like ID cards. But be careful: shears within a
    distribution of free software?

I do not understand -- what do you mean by "shears"?