Re: [GNU-linux-libre] mirror

From: Brett Smith
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] mirror
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:36:27 -0400

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 21:38 +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 23:28:00 GMT
> address@hidden (Karl Berry) wrote:
>
> > queue stating that very thing.  (I actually knew that but didn't think
> > of it in time.  Sigh.)
> >
> >     or am i missing something?
> >
> > Not you, me :).  I was misled by this statement on free-sw.html:
> >
> > > Freedom 3 includes distributing modified versions, not just changes.
> >
> > But I guess that rms is actually talking about something else, ie, the
> > freedom to distribute binaries + patches + original sources is enough.
> > Still confusing :(.
>
> Yeah :/ Is there someone we should ask to clarify the site?

Any changes would ultimately have to be approved by RMS, although I can
take point on that if you want.

There is this paragraph later in the page:

        However, rules about how to package a modified version are
        acceptable, if they don't substantively limit your freedom to
        release modified versions, or your freedom to make and use
        modified versions privately. Thus, it is acceptable for the
        license to require that you change the name of the modified
        version, remove a logo, or identify your modifications as yours.
        As long as these requirements are not so burdensome that they
        effectively hamper you from releasing your changes, they are
        acceptable; you're already making other changes to the program,
        so you won't have trouble making a few more.

That covers the fundamental issue here, although it doesn't explicitly
discuss the source+patches example.  Do you think that makes things
clear enough, or do we need something more?

--
Brett Smith
License Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

Support the FSF by becoming an Associate Member: http://fsf.org/jf