Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 16:52:25 +0100

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016, Zlatan Todoric wrote:

> >tl;dr - an 100% free distro should not include, recommend nor
> >       facilitate the installation of non-free software. a bios
> >       firmware is also distributed software
>
> We do not recommend nor faciliate installation of non-free software, and if
> the bios firmware is the issue then all OSes fail on any hardware post 2009
> - but I thought OS is separate from hardware in this discussion, maybe I am
> wrong.

this is the misunderstanding then.

because you are recommending the option of getting your distribution
through a pre-installed medium (a laptop PC) which includes non-free
software (as its bios), then its hard to "separate from hardware in
this discussion". People here evaluate a sort of "user journey" to see
if, as someone approaching your distribution, one would ever be
proposed to use/install non-free software. That it should be so it is
clearly stated in the 100% free guidelines published by the FSF.

I hope this helps clearing the misunderstanding.

ciao