Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Francois Téchené
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:28:47 +0100

On 11/10/2016 06:51 PM, Jean Louis wrote:

> To me you sound very reasonable.
>
> In regards to your website, now the website is promoting both Puri.sm
> and PureOS. And on many pages, you have "alternatives" to proprietary
> software, references to FLOSS and FOSS, and others.
>
> By having a separate website, with more proper terminology, you are
> quicker to solve the problem that I see. But even that is for me
> "sitting on two chairs". You either promote "open source" or "free
> software" or maybe your people don't quite get the difference. I just
> think it is this later. They have good intentions, but never realized
> that open source is about using the software with sources readable,
> regardless if sources are free of not. You see Debian GNU/Linux is
> FLOSS oriented. They offer "open source" on non-free servers, so one
> can see the sources, but does not get all the freedom.

I understand that the words matter (especially for Open Source) but get
confused with a few of them.

Actually, English is not my 1st language (you may have noticed) so I
don't always get 2nd or 3rd meanings of the words I use.

I come from the world of proprietary software that I used to use
everyday for my Audio/Visual work. When "switching" to free software,
because of ethical reasons that I understood after years (it is never
too late), I had to find a way to produce the same work with free
software. I often use the word "alternative", without negative
connotation to refer 2 applications that have the same purpose. Whether
it is free or not. Final Cut is an alternative to Premiere, just like
Premiere is an alternative to Final Cut. Kdenlive is an alternative to
Pitivi just like Pitivi is an alternative to Kdenlive. Why would talking
about alternatives be such a problem? What other word would you use to
help somebody looking for a free software to replace his restrictive
proprietary one? Is the word "replacement" a better one?

> However, I am not FSF, just someone... Ask the authorities.

I wish to have the point of view of the authorities then.