Re: [GNU-linux-libre] I can also bring tons of examples to illustrate a

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] I can also bring tons of examples to illustrate a point, even big data, 3D, and cake (was Re: 10 minutes, and uzbl browser became usable)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:42:19 +0100

On 11/15/2016 05:31 PM, hellekin wrote:
On 11/15/2016 02:57 PM, Zlatan Todoric wrote:
The only one treating users dumb here is you and your pal.

I think you misread an posted in anger, Zlatan.  Matt first mentioned
that "users are not dumb", but that's besides the point.  The point, and
I agree with you on that one, is that indeed, a computer user shouldn't
have to learn how computers work to use them, like a car driver doesn't
have to learn how cars work to drive them.

I really don't recall I disagree with Matt, on contrary I agree very much with him and I even suspect we are aligned with a lot of ideas (but that is our personal thing). I disagree with Jaromil and Jean and their way of "introducing" things.

<snip>
I was quite terrified to see that a young man from the smartphone
generation in front of a text-only Web site with 'obvious' links would
be confused not to find any *button* to click.

Do you understand that clicking on things is much more natural to human beings that reading through text streams? I would be surprised if he didn't try to find button.

It's not that he's stupid, it's that he made a habit of clicking buttons
to use a computer.  That indeed informs your mind to use this or that
interface.

Again, clicking is much more natural to humans than wall of text stream.

People shouldn't have to learn how computers work, but that doesn't mean
they should be taught to use computers in a way Microsoft or Google
decides, "because they have the best designers": their designers don't
care about making users question their technologies, instead they like
their users predictable and docile.

Although my life style and my work are on the other spectrum from Google and Microsoft, I must admit they did invest a lot into finding what interface feels more natural and easy to adopt for people.

People who think that they're one way to do computing are IMO the
enemies of general computing, and we should be wary of them.  They're
the same coming at you telling you they know best about [anything],
because they have 'working models', 'statistics', and so on.  And they
will come at you saying: look, this is how we can save time by modeling
the cake in 3D that you're going to send to your baker on his tablet,
and pick up in the evening coming back home...

Yes, that is why I don't think stubbornly sticking with old tech that has flaws and attacking everything that is new with "don't reinvent the wheel and don't make user dumb" is not going to help. Users are not *that* dumb and the ecosystem is moving into direction where it is more comfortable/convenient for users. The best we can do is to listen to users and not to ourselves.

No, you won't, because there's a real person called the baker, who wants
to hear from you, looking you in the face, how you like the cake.  This
person will learn much more from you than from a 3D model, and besides,
the 3D model is entirely incompatible with something he uses called flour.

I don't have time to go to bakery so I order online. Also, suddenly you suggest going to meet my baker, to make it personal yet you probably hate that google is collecting mass amount of data about you to make your online experience more personal.

And, BTW, there's no 'average user': the 'average user' is an invention
of people who 'think' with statistics and models and probabilities, and
can't make the difference between a dumb, or sensitive, or fragile, or
uninterested person, or between a person and a machine.

There is average user because there is statistics. If 90% of people on laptops use Windows, I would say that average laptop user is Windows user as well, okay? Whatever reasons lies in their OS usage doesn't change the fact that average laptops users is Windows user.

We're always the 'dumb' of someone else, especially in technology, where
ego is so high, and corporeality so distant.

Sadly true story, so unless something really constructive (for me, imo) happens here, I will avoid to post (much) more.

Thanks on sharing your view,