Re: A summary of some open discussions

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A summary of some open discussions
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:43:09 -0500

   > That is no different than a GNU maintainer buckling down on some
   > specific technical decision.

   Except that it's not how the glibc community worked since it rebooted in
   2010-2011.  I don't remember an instance in the last almost decade of my
   involvement that a maintainer buckled down in the manner you seem to
   find acceptable.

Indeed, I don't find it at all reasonable how some glibc maintainers
buckled down, ignored GNU polices that they agreed to follow -- you
can take that as comment from a fellow glibc developer (even if only
on paper).  GNU maintainers take technical decisions, not decisions of
policy.

The GNU project is a project that is about software ethics and morals
first and foremost.  That includes objecting to absurd laws that can
affect our work, and our tradition has always been to make jokes out
of them.