Re: cURL author receives rude LogJ4 security inquiry

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: cURL author receives rude LogJ4 security inquiry
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 19:19:20 +0300

* Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281@gmail.com> [2022-02-24 06:04]:
> A big part of the misunderstanding here is probably due to Linux's
> origin as a bare-metal terminal emulator.  Bare-metal applications
> which essentially integrate their own specialized operating system
> were somewhat rare on IBM-PC-type systems, but very common on other
> microcomputers and a few did exist for IBM-ish PCs if I understand
> correctly.  They were much more common on floppy-based systems
> lacking hard disks, such as most Apple IIs.  Insert disk, power on
> machine.  While Apple II hard disks did exist, they were very rare.
>
> As I understand it, Linus essentially used a *nix-like environment
> as an extension interface for his terminal emulator because he was
> familiar with Unix at his university; indeed, the primary use of
> that terminal emulator was to dial in to the university's modem pool
> for access to Unix.  This is a likely basis for his "nothing big and
> professional like GNU" remark.  It grew from there.

Yes, I see it that way. He was not really planning it but tried to
make the input and output and ended up with "operating system" which
he misunderstood to be the kernel only.

However, I have never purchased neither tried "operating system" which
did not have basic necessary applications.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman