gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] hspice level 49 and .lib/.param?

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] hspice level 49 and .lib/.param?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:33:22 -0500

Al Davis wrote:
On Friday 11 November 2005 12:35 am, Dan McMahill wrote:

anyone working on an Hspice level 49 MOS compatible model for
gnucap?

mosis, for example at:

http://www.mosis.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/umosis/swp/params/tsmc-0
18/t58f_mm_non_epi_thk-params.txt

has level 49 models for various CMOS processes.

That is HSPICE specific. I think it is just BSIM3 with a different name, Try level 7.

it doesn't quite get you there.

level 49 in hspice also looks at a VERSION parameter along with the HSPVER parameter to pick out various bsim3v3 versions. The manual I have gives a table showing how to set these 2 parameters to pickout

bsim3v3.0 - oct 95
bsim3v3.0 - oct 95 with june 98 fixes
bsim3v3.1 - dec 96
bsim3v3.1 - dec 96 with june 98 fixes
bsim3v3.2 - june 98
bsim3v3.2.1 - april 99
bsim3v3.2.2.- april 99

It looks like the hspice changes on top of bsim is:

ACM -- junction diode model and area calculation method.

ACM = 0,1,2,3 for the hspice model
ACM = 10,11,12,13 for the berkeley model

There are also a handful of parameters related to the junctions which are a bit different.

So, where to go from here? I'd be willing to try and code up something for gnucap which would let you directly use a level 49 model file, but I could use a few pointers in the right direction.

For example, should I create a d_mos49.model and try and put everything in there (even though it would duplicate stuff from d_mos7.model)? In terms of how to deal with the VERSION and HSPVER parameters, should I just look at how the LEVEL parameter is currently dealt with in gnucap as an example of how to switch models based on a parameter?

Since mosis seems to mostly supply level 49 models, this should be a huge benefit to students who want to be able to take a model from mosis and just run with it.

I guess I need to first read and understand how gnucap implements the mos models to begin with. Maybe then I'll have a clearer vision of how to actually implement this stuff.

Thanks

-Dan