gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] New experimental build system using CMake

From: Kevin Zheng
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] New experimental build system using CMake
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:03:13 -0500

Hi there,

On 05/13/2013 02:14, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> i've pushed it into the "autotools-WIP" branch. actually this is the old
> build system adapted to the path changes + some extra stuff. i'm not
> absolutely confident/content, so please expect changes/rebases/deletion.

>From the limited testing I've done on FreeBSD, it seems that the new
autotools build system works fine. At this point, I think the focus
should be on testing and getting it merged into master.

I (with lots of bias) agree with Al that CMake does seem to be a more
elegant build system. At the same time, I'm not particularly versed in
CMake, either. At the moment, the autotools implementation is basically
complete and just needs some testing. The dependency issues aren't too
big of a problem, after all, autotools seem to be the de facto standard.

That said, I'll look at CMake some more when I have extra time; for now
I just care about getting autotools in so I don't have to pull my hair
out packaging Gnucap for FreeBSD.

(FreeBSD's 'package' system is a misnomer; it actually is a system that
automatically fetches, patches, builds, and installs programs from
source that has an option to generate binary packages.)

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng