gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repo proposal

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repo proposal
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 16:01:51 +0200

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 04:05:08AM -0400, al davis wrote:
> So if the WIP branch prints the same message as the stable one,
> I run it, how do I know that I have actually run the WIP branch?

theres a commit in autotools-WIP that adds the git branch to the version
number. this is something to play with...

> In my old system with RCS, that was semi-automatic as part of
> the checkin target in the Makefile.  Is there a way with Git to
> have it generate some kind of string as part of the program on a
> checkin?

the mechanism is quite simple: configure checks whether git is available
and .git is a directory, then pastes the branch name into the constant
GIT_BRANCH. anything else (commit id, description or even
manual-override) should be trivial to add.

> In my own non-released work, I do change the patchlev string,
> for these reasons.

i see. i have my gnucap instances sorted by prefix and select with
$PATH. that way confusion is impossible.

regards
felix