gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] discontinuities

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] discontinuities
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 22:30:30 -0500

On Thursday 16 January 2014, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> this is surprising. particulatly because the pulse patch was
> about zero rise time..

Zero rise time was the catylist and initial test case, but
that's not all.  It has to do with timing of events around break
points in general.  It still isn't final.  Every break point
needs an explicit before and after step.  The original code put
a step *approximately at* a break point, which could be exactly
at, a little before, or a little after.  The modified code put a
step a little before.  It also needs a step a little after, and
must explicitly avoid exactly at.  More work is needed.

break point definition:  a signal or its first or second
derivative with respect to either time or its input is
discontinuous.

Note that I am using a different definition of break point than
Spice does.

> . anyway i(r1) looks pretty wrong to
> me and the ringing in v(n2) is clearly a trap artifact.

clearly a trap artifact.

Try Gear.  The Gear artifacts are pretty wierd on this one too!

why is there a problem here?

Here's a stab at the answer.

Trap is valid across break points.  It is common to believe that
it is not valid, but it is valid.  I am not sure about Gear..

The analysis if Gear is more difficult.  It is a weighted
average of 2 steps.  Higher order Gear uses more steps so it is
even harder to properly analyze.  All of the books show a simple
analysis where all steps are the same size.  In practice, often
all steps are not the same size.  Gnucap tries to keep steps the
same size when it makes sense to do so, but around break points
steps are not the same size.  In the gnucap variable step Gear
method, I did at one time prove that the method is still
"consistent" and "convergent" but did not rigorously analyze its
"stability".  (Quoted terms .. see a numerical analysis text for
definitions.)  Based on this, Gear fallback is probably not a
good idea.

The issue here is in time step control.  Although the method is
valid through break points, the step control is not.   Say that
again ....  Truncation error and curve fit time step control is
not valid through break points.

For now, let's ignore the capacitors and just look at the step
control when there are no storage devices.  Steps are chosen
such that the result is a smooth curve, and that interpolating
between actual calculation points gives accuracy within the
specified tolerance.

The method is to try to fit a curve of order 1, 2, or 3
depending on the option "trsteporder", which defaults to 3.

To estimate the error, take one more derivative.  That would be
the 4th derivative for a 3rd order fit, or the second derivative
for a first order fit.  Think of a Taylor series, estimating the
error you get by truncating the series.  Truncation error.

In case it isn't obvious, a first order fit is line segments, a
third order fit is cubic splines.  A higher order here allows
larger time steps for the same interpolated accuracy.

The estimated value of the nth derivative here is calculated by
divided differences.  3 points are needed to calculate the
second derivative, used when trsteporder==1.  5 points are
needed to calculate the 4th derivative, used when trsteporder=3.

If that derivative of a signal is discontinuous the
estimation of truncation error is not valid.  The points before
the discontinuity are not valid for this purpose.

In most cases, it is not a serious problem because the
consequence is non-optimal time-stepping, not incorrect results.

In this case, large steps are used up to the break then suddenly
very small steps are needed, but not demanded, hence the trap
ringing.  Trap uses order 2 step control.  That requires 4
samples to calculate the 3rd derivative.  Immediately after a
break, 3 of the samples are before the break, when it was flat,
so it still asks for large steps.

In this case, setting trsteporder to 1 eliminates the trap
overshoot, because something else (the voltage source) now
demands a small enough step.

So what is needed here is not method fallback (fallback to
euler) but rather step control fallback.  If the step control
falls back to 1 after a break, that should fix it.

Still working on it.  more to come.

Also ... while working on this, I think I fixed the "zero-time-
step" and "very backward time step" bug.  It has to do with
rejecting a step then the quantizer unrejects it scheduling a
new step at exactly the same time as the previous one.  More to
follow on this too.