gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] plugpath branch

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] plugpath branch
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 00:01:01 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 04:27:31PM -0500, al davis wrote:
> Inconsistency ..  one distro is different from another .. not good.

if you pass --enable-new-dtags, you will get the same on all distros.

the use of DT_RPATH ("old-dtags") is deprecated, that's what LD.SO(8)
says. that is distro independent [1]. coincidently the new dtags have
just become the default in debian. iirc, gentoo also does it like this.
others will probably follow.

> "Override" (comes before) is not "break" (fails to find it), but I
> agree with you that what it does is less than ideal.

without the override, it's not possible to make use of something similar
to LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/.gnucap/my_plugins. so that qualifies as
"broken".

> I think where this is going is to indicate the need for a different
> approach.

DT_RUNPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH have always worked for me. it will be
hard to improve. is there a (reasonable) platform that does not support
it?

imo we should add the "--enable-new-dtags" to "plugpath+" and be done
(for quite a while). it will very likely not break any existing
installs.

wouldn't it be possible to start a different approach as a plugin? that
might make sense in particular if it changes the current dlopen
behaviour...

cheers
felix

[1] man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/ld.so.8.html