RE: [open-cobol-list] RE: COBOL Pgms

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] RE: COBOL Pgms
Date: Fri Nov 18 13:05:02 2005

As I indicated in a previous note, I don't know exactly what SHOULD happen
when you have something like

Call "whatever" using "alphanumeric-literal" ws-item.

I *think* the literal should be passed BY CONTENT (implicitly) - but then
should that be "transitive" to the 2nd argument or not?  If you coded

  Call "whatever" using BY CONTENT "alphanumeric literal" ws-item

Then WS-ITEM would ALSO be passed by content.  If the literal were a numeric
literal, should it be passed by CONTENT or by VALUE?

The 2002 ISO Standard *does* allow for passing of literals but ONLY when a
program-prototype is used (which tells you what type of BY to use).

PERSONALLY, I would suggest that passing any literal - not BY CONTENT or BY
VALUE - should be disallowed (until/unless call prototypes are added).

AGAIN, this has nothing to do with maintaining of addressability across
CALLs.