[open-cobol-list] ENTRY statement: obsolete?

From: Scott McKellar
Subject: [open-cobol-list] ENTRY statement: obsolete?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:48:06 -0700

What does it mean that the FAQ labels the ENTRY statement as obsolete (or any
other statement for that matter)?

Does it mean "Don't use it because it's likely to go away?"  Or does it just
mean "Don't use it because it's unfashionable and I don't like it?"

I ask because I'm writing a new subprogram using ENTRY.  It encapsulates a
complex data structure, with a separate entry point for each supported
operation.

If ENTRY is going away, I can write the program differently.  However no
alternative that I can think of is very appealing, except perhaps to rewrite it
in C.  ENTRY does exactly what I want.

If ENTRY will continue to be available, I'll use it, and shrug off the sneers.

Scott McKellar