PIC 1

From: Michael Potter
Subject: PIC 1
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 00:03:50 -0400

Gnu Crew,

I am compiling some COBOL that I got from an AS/400.

          05  FILE-FLAG   PIC 1    VALUE B"0".
                88 FILE-FLAG-OPEN   VALUE B"1".
                88 FILE-FLAG-CLOSE  VALUE B"0".

I am not the most widely travelled man, but I have never seen a PIC 1 before.  The context appears to be a boolean.

The GnuCOBOL 3.1 RC-1 programmer's guide does not reference PIC 1 (as far as I can see by quick search of syntax of PICTURE-STRING).

It throws this error:

AXXXXA.cbl: 146: error: invalid PICTURE character '1'

AXXXXA.cbl: 146: error: PICTURE string must contain at least one of the set A, N, X, Z, 1, 9 and *; or at least two of the set +, - and the currency symbol

Which is curious because the error message refers to 1 as a valid character in the picture clause.

1. How can I get this code to compile and run?

2. How could have I found that answer myself?

3. If I have to change code what is the easiest thing to do?  I have a couple hundred I would need to change.