[Gnumed-devel] DBAPI Problem

From: Horst Herb
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] DBAPI Problem
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 23:39:45 +1000

I just made the painful experience that not all "database adapters are
created equal".
PyPgSQL takes not only a different dsn string / login parameters than pgdb
(PyGreSQL) - which is easy to intercept & fix - but it also returns
different objects from a query when date and/or time is involved.

This is most painful, as it basically voids the perceived advantages of
using the DB-API. It is even more painful, as pyPgSQL offered a nice
binary "setup.exe" package for Windows users. However, on Linux at least
pyPgSQL seems to perform worse the PyGreSQL. While PyGreSQL returns dates
and times as strings, PyGreSQL returns them as objects modeled after
mxDate. As we are working a lot with dates and times, it makes it
unfeasible to write a compatibility wrapper - performance penalty would be
too high. I checked with psycopg - yet another way to handle dates and
times, yet another DSN format.

What now? I suggest we stick to PyGreSQL - being included in the official
postgresql source tree is some sort of indicator that it is here to stay
and wil continue to be developed. Anybody with Windows & a C compiler on
Windows keen on building a binary and making it available for upload?

Horst