Re: [Gnumed-devel] Just joining

From: Alan O'Keefe
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Just joining
Date: 07 Aug 2002 19:14:12 +1000

Hi Richard

I have downloaded the anonymous CVS and am going to build the
server database and look at the client over the weekend.

What we need is a import engine with modular parser's for various
formats, (eg. PIT, HL7, maybe XML in the future).  The first step
would be to import report images, this is relatively, (!!), easy.
The next step is to look at the whole electronic ordering/results
interpreting can of worms, (you might be surprised how much of a
pain LOINC is in this area, though there isn't much out there that
is better).

What we may have to do is to setup an internal ordering data set
and provide mapping tables from that to each of the key pathology
providers.  Is there any general pathology ordering guidelines
defined by the College of General Practitioners that we could use
as an internal data set ?

I know that there are several government e-health initiatives, but
as I'm no longer "officially" in the health industry, (I'm now an
independent consultant), I don't necessarily have direct access to
that stuff anymore.  Is there anyone who can give me some info on
the current state of play in this area, both here in Australia, and
overseas in the various interested countries.

I live in Sunbury, (just near Tullamarine airport in Melbourne).

I have read your documents, it looks pretty sophisticated, I can't
judge the workflow aspects of them as I've never practiced as a
doctor. ;-)

Let me get what's in CVS installed and have a look before I get
any further into all of this.

Regards
Alan

--