Re: [Gnumed-devel] pooling connections

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] pooling connections
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:28:38 +1000

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:37 pm, Julio Jiménez wrote:
> Can you isolate transactions in this way?

No, not always

> Do you need keep insert... delete... pending for commit while the progam
> is running?

Sometimes

> Do you mean cursors or multy-threaded procceses...

Not neccessarily.
Example: one widget captures a narrative current illness. You start a new
clinical episode. While entering the narrative, data is captured (like blood
pressure etc.) which may or may not be a single commitable query. It is
predicatble that at some stage one widget will post a "commit transaction"
while another transaction in another widget might take longer to do so. In a
GUI interface with all widgets virtually active at the same time, it is
impossible to guarantee serialization of transactions.

Apart from that, we will have threads capturing data (like from an ECG), but
they must of course use their own connection and won't interfere with other
transactions.

Horst