[Gnumed-devel] Richard's phrase wheel comments

From: richard terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Richard's phrase wheel comments
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:37:57 +1000

snip:

>In general IMHO we shouldn't make the phraseweels too smart because this
>will always limit the number of matches found in a certain situation.
>Therefore
>we will have to find a  balance between further decreasing result sets and
>finding the wanted item in the result set at all.

Guys,

Take care with all this. SIMPLICITY should be the key.

Please refer back to the section documentation. For example when prescribing,
say for gout in the example below, on an actual paper script, we don't write
the first line as 'gout', we write
 Rx
 Allopurinol (or Brand eg Zyloprim)
300mg tabs
1 mane
for gout

ie the phrase wheel dosn't need much intelligence here. It is simply a vehicle
to pop up lists - it needs to troll the database for all drugs starting with
'a...' if generically prescribing, or 'z..' if brand name prescribing'

Now, if you may be prescribing from the SOAP notes end of things, and not the
prescribing section where you have just made the diagnosis of gout, this are
different:

Subjective:painful toe
Objective :red swollen ist i-p joint;left side;
Assessment:Gout

As the cursor hits the Plan line we need some intelligence, part of which can
be learned intelligence if needed. The wheel could contain several plans
single or combined for the user to choose eg:

- script indomethacin 25mg caps 2 tds for 2/7 then qid;
- dietry information sheet
- script allopurinol 100mg 1 mane start in 1 week
- colchicine  2 stat, 1 2nd hrly till diarrhoea then 1 tds
- appointment 2 weeks

This info could be different if say patient has peptic ulceration history etc.

I think it is a mistake to try and build too much complexity into this at the
first stage - think simple - think trawling database for simple lists.

Regards

richard