Re: [Gnumed-devel] how and when to select encounter type

From: Elizabeth Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] how and when to select encounter type
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:43:58 +1100

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:21, Ian Haywood wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:10:45 +0100
>
> Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Another approach would be to delay asking for the type of
> > encounter until something get's written to the patient's
> > clinical (?) record. The question arises whether that's
> > sufficient and whether we'd want to record "administrative"
> > encounters as such as well (say, the patient just comes in to
> > change her address details).
>
> I think reads should be logged (for a number of reasons)
>
> > avoid creating an encounter when just looking up some data,
> > say, revisiting a stored referral report for memory jogging.
>
> But, no, IMHO an "encounter" at least implies soome clinical decision
> (however trivial) otherwise the record will quickly fill with excessive
> records.
>
> Ian

to be quite specific
i have made several hundred 'random' reads into our new database to check
various functions - that record transfer does occur between two programs, and
that some mysterous windows function allows them to communicate.
so, should we have an entry that i have been looking at every pre-booked
patient's entry for two weeks and checking the transfer of medication lists?
i see reasons for and against.
Liz
--
Wishing without work is like fishing without bait.
                -- Frank Tyger