Re: [Gnumed-devel] get(All)Adresses()

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] get(All)Adresses()
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:01:57 -0800

What I
then want is a widget that has nearly no visual effects and
asks for the most basic information only since my goal is to
enter the basics as rapidly as possible
For that I would prefer a layout very similar to an edit area:
Just vertically arranged lines with interlinked phrase wheels
and rapid switching between fields (enter/tab). Dead simple,
not fancy at all, just clear and quick.

Does that make sense ?
Very much.

The rapid-entry widget would be loaded at the front desk only,
while the demographic details editor is useful at most
workplaces.
The rapid-entry widget would be useful for a new patient including first details which come over the phone, and when the desk staff are too busy to do detailed input and may fill it in a bit later.

Down the road a demographic editor could be useful at the front desk, perhaps also at a "patient station", to emulate/accommodate existing paper workflows, where new patients (and periodically returning patients) give or confirm / update their information.

Could I also load a rapid-entry widget from a back desk?
- I and others may see referrals where the "first info" on a new patient is taken in a phone call from a colleague who wants a patient seen. I don't want to have to wait for the front desk staff, or to make them stop what they are doing, to enter some patient basics. I'd like to be able to enter at least a patient name, phone number, referring doctor (if applicable) and the fact something needs to be done like "give appointment < 1 wk, < 2wks etc". Maybe this is getting messy because I might want to put a blurb in about the nature of the problem or what I am thinking needs to be done - maybe doable with only a link to the scratchpad. - also from a back desk, the rapid entry widget can be useful where new patients have been seen only outside the practice eg on a hospital rota or covering someone else's patients. In this situation, where one may want to enter only minimal info for billing purposes --- some practices accept/require the docs to do the billing, because the doc knows the service(s) to be billed and the diagnosis(es) which non-medical staff can find hard to match to ICD9/10 for less common codes.