[Gnumed-devel] Re: Installation

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Installation
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:24:02 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, David Grant wrote:

> doing, calling a script (the SAME script).  Currently the debian debs
> are really confusing, it installs all the files manually, and I would
> hate to be the one to have to update that at every release.  I started
You are right here and I hate this as well.  Just to clarify the reason:
I tried to implement the modular philosophy behind GnuMed into single
packages for every module which is able to run in a single environment.

The problem is that this modular design is absolutely not represented in
the source archive structure.  If the source would be structured in a better
way packaging would be much less confusing.  My goal was to sit down
next to Karsten and try to convince him to reorganize the source to
reflect the structure GnuMed has:

    - common files for all Modules
    -- common files for server
    -- common files for clients
    --- Modules which can run separately should be in separate directories
        (may be as a pool)

> writing a Gentoo ebuild, but I abandonned it because I felt that it
> would be too complicated and updating it would be a nightmare.  So I
Definitely.  This is the reason why I do not often update the Debian packages.

> decided to try to help upstream gnumed install better and no one has yet
> explained to my fully why distutils cannot be used for the server and
> client.
I guess upstream welcomes your help as well as I because I can't become
involved in this field to much because of time constraints.

Thanks for your work on Gentoo

          Andreas.