Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: gui/schema

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: gui/schema
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:59:19 +0200

> That's why coding the vb project was done so quickly (6/12) because all the
> subroutines to pull the data from the database tables where inherently the
> same -  a quick cut/copy, minor sql changes, and re-using the same
> subroutines for actually querying the database and displaying and saving the
> data.
Hm, so where's the difference to what we do now ? Apart from,
perhaps, that we separated displaying and backend handling.
(Well, not quite, as displaying still deals with column names
but it's a lot more robust now. It catches column name errors
and tells you about the valid columns in the log right next to
the error message.) Maintaining SQL right in the frontend code
proves painful (been there).

> I was hoping that if the SOAP editor got started, then a generic Edit area
> Editor could soon follow - just pass a few label parameters and up comes the
> new editor etc.
Hm, that *is* how Ian's editor works ?