Re: [Gnumed-devel] [wxPython-users] [ANN] EClass.Builder 2.5.4.17

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] [wxPython-users] [ANN] EClass.Builder 2.5.4.17
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:20:09 +0200

> > If not too complicated to set up / install (for end users) and not too many
> > dependencies, that would be the *ideal* "letter writer" for gnumed - even
> > better, progress notes could be written in "visual" HTML.
> Although this may look good, I'm not sure it has the extra features we want
> like popup lists for auto-completion,
Agree.

> My personal view on referral letters is that the GUI should focus on content,
> the TeX-based backend can make it look good
Agree.

> (but I appreciate there will aways be calls for a WYSIWYG editor phase in
> letter-generation)
Which IMO AbiWord might do nicely. At least one AbiWord person
has expressed interest in helping with development if need be.

> We also need "protected" text for SOAP headers, ideally in the left margin.
> wxScintilla can do this but its a hack, and
> doesn't put then in a separate margin.
Except for margin "markers".

> The C++ base does support margin labels but, frustratingly, this isn't
> available in the Python wrapper.
Ah, there's the reason why I never saw any reaction to that
suggestion of mine. What a pity.

> There are other problems (wxScintilla forces popup lists to be in
> alphabetical order, you can't select by substrings)
Or at least the lists it handles itself. We might want to
write child classes for them (or does wxSTC UserList do what
we need ?).

> Straw poll:
> 1/ wxScintilla-based, no proper margins, etc., see
> gnumed/client/wxpython/SOAPTextCtrl.py
My vote. Plus trying to find a way to carry over margin
markers into the wxPython wrapper. Plus eventually finding a
way to deal with the list order ?problem.