Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics editor

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics editor
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:13:05 +0200

> I have all along been wondering if a good design could, with
> exceptions*, involve one client but smartly supporting this issue of
> jumping back and forth between patients.
This immediately forces the developer to take great care
exactly which patient object the code needs to deal with at
any given time. The paradigm "one client - one patient" IMO
makes for much safer programming. Which still leaves us with
the possibility of operator error.

> While working on Patient X, when having to immediately deal with an
> interruption concerning Patient Y, you hate to lose your placeholder
> for X while fetching Y.
Hence I switch to another already-running client instance and
select Patient Y in that one.

> So I think it could be invaluable to have an
> easily accessible clickable list, listing in reverse order the
> patients last accessed by yourself
We already have this list. It is a functionality of the top
panel search field. Hit ALT-L or ALT-P.

> and even remembering which tab you
> were in. Maybe it would not even be necessary to re-access the server
> for the original read.
With the current paradigm that wouldn't be possible. However,
it would be possible to keep around the person object in it's
cached state and reuse that instead of creating a new object
of the old patient as the code does now.

> If a problem for other patients to see this
> list, it could be hidden but easily toggled into view. I had further
> detailed thoughts on this which I can offer.
Sure.