[Gnumed-devel] Re: [GPCG_TALK] MDW and scanning solution?

From: Tim Churches
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [GPCG_TALK] MDW and scanning solution?
Date: 18 Sep 2004 09:18:20 +1000

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 08:07, john dooley wrote:

> I am thinking a little outside the square.  First brainstorming session
> suggested prepurchasing sequential unique barcode labels (they arent
> very dear - $44 per 1000 or so).  The Drs read sign and barcode from the
> label book.   Someone (either the IT saavy Dr or the IT phobic Drs
> secretary)  then opens the patient and logs an entry into the letters or
> documents with the unique barcode number and a short description.  Then,
> heaps of barcoded letters get automatically  little mysql database out
> the back on a box that holds all the documents.    This would be
> professionally held in a proper document storage database that could be
> accessed over the lan.  I envision .pdf scans, probably labelled with
> the unique barcode name.

If I understand correctly, you are using the pre-printed barcodes to
provide a unique ID for each document. Do you need to purchase barcodes
to do that?

> The next evolution would be the ability to lodge a html link that points
> to the document from MDW.  Single click opens up the letter from the
> separate Dbase.  But by then i suggest we will have moved on...
>
> Thoughts?  Then idea is to minimise time scanning and matching.  There
> would be some risk of mis-entering the unique barcde (minimised even
> further with a hand scanner) - $200+ retail but <100 if you buy used.
>
> Now I need to work on "what software" for the backend.  Here I have no
> suggestions.  A scripted php application of the opensource variety
> springs to mind.

Have a look at Railroad - http://www.infrae.com/products/railroad

Railroad might be of interest to the GNUmed crew since it is written in
Python, and also to ArgusConnect since it can operate as a standalone
document repository/server. It has a liberal open source license.

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0