Re: [Gnumed-devel] trivial pursuit with loinc

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] trivial pursuit with loinc
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:30:11 -0400

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 07:21:05AM +1000, Tim Churches wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 02:35, James Busser wrote:
> > http://www.loinc.org/license
> >
> > The license is not "named" but does it translate as "freeware"? (Not sure
> > if "freeware" is anywhere formally defined)
"free software" IS defined (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)
and LOINC falls short as it restricts modification. IMHO this is not
a big issue as we don't want to modify LOINC, and the licence is
otherwise quite liberal. The only problem is with Debian packaging: a
separate LOINC package is needed for "non-free".

Tim, what is "the former" which is unsatisfactory: LOINC, or the AusPath
codes?

Ian