Re: [Gnumed-devel] limitations of Mandrake

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] limitations of Mandrake
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:50:02 +0100

> In an earlier email, Syan made reference to Mandrake 10 lacking
> support for a component of PostgreSQL.
procedural languages, I believe

> If that is a correct and real limitation, does it affect Mandrake
> only as far as running as a gnumed *server*,
yes

> or would it create
> problems for client software under Mandrake, as well?
no

> Also, if I were to arrange for someone to install the gnumed client
> on machine that must run Windows-dependent Internet Explorer (because
> of some custom plug-ins)
>
> - do people think the instructions remain workable at
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/client/doc/user-manual/win9x.html#AEN859
1) you don't need PostgreSQL on that machine
2) hence you don't need Cygwin
3) you do need python/wxpython/mxdatetime/pypgsql
4) you don't need to bootstrap the database on that machine

eg. install the client prerequisites and ...

> - I don't discern from the above URL any info on downloading GnuMed,
... just grab the tarball

.. forget about this and just use client/gm-from-cvs.bat or a
version therof.

Please do write a section "Setting up and running the client
under Windows" in the Wiki when you are done. I will remove
the outdated stuff from the CVS when you give me a holler.

> should the client be downloaded/installed from CVS under Windows?
yes or grab the tarball

> Under Cygwin?
no