[Gnumed-devel] URGENT - hherb.com hacked

From: Horst Herb
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] URGENT - hherb.com hacked
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:31:02 +1100

hherb.com has been hacked, a root kit installed.
This happened probably on 15th of November (at least some of the kitted files
like rm, chmod, login, ifconfig etc. bear such time stamp and log entries
before that date look unsuspicious)

The network interface was in promiscuous mode at least since 15.11 - so
consider your paswords compromised. If you use them on any other system,
change them IMMEDIATELY!

I am in the process of cleaning up, but it is not easy.
I rsynced the whole server onto a safe machine, but databases need to be
backed up.

Everybody with access to hherb.com: please back up immediately all your own
files, especially database dumps.

I will switch that server off on Tuesday, replacement will probably be
seamless - I have already commissioned a much faster machine (with 1 GB RAM
and 160 GB hdd on a 100MBit internet connection) - but for that one I will
not allow others to get root-alike access anymore, after the current
disaster.

The new server will be firewalled *on top* of the firewall that was/is
provided by the data centre.

I don't know yet how the root kit was installed. Since 15th, I have been
syncing the logs onto a local machine and watched all activity - the intruder
appears to "merely" have abused the machine for spamming, hasn't defaced
anything.

The server didn't contain any confidential data, was purely used for open
source projects, hence no data theft possible.

I could trace the intruder to a few other hacked sites, where he has deposited
lists with hundreds of thousands of "valid" e-mail addresses, but I have not
been able to identify the intruder yet nor to track him down to his original
IP number

Horst