Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed

From: sean finney
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:19:34 -0500

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 06:00:42PM +1100, Ian Haywood wrote:
> No, the collection of .sql scripts for inital installation: bar.sql
> refers to tables
> created in foo.sql, so it must run afterwards. I suppose we could have a
> central gnumed.sql
> which contains just a sequence of \i foo/foo.sql commands

okay.  well the first idea that comes to mind is to concatenate them
into one larger file.  another option would be to have a wrapper
script execute them using information from the config file.  oh,
i just realized i never attached that config file i promised you.
it's attached in this mail.  a third idea would be to extend
dbconfig-common to do as you suggest.

currently, it looks for files matching:

/usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/$package/install/$dbtype
/usr/share/dbconfig-common/scripts/$package/install/$dbtype

i suppose that could be extended to

/usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/$package/install/$dbtype
/usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/$package/install/$dbtype_$arbitrarystring
/usr/share/dbconfig-common/scripts/$package/install/$dbtype
/usr/share/dbconfig-common/scripts/$package/install/$dbtype_$arbitrarystring

and be guaranteably sorted via... sort or something.

> >something that you may not know is that dbconfig-common stores its
> >parameters not in debconf (which would generally be bad practice for
> >data of this sort), but in /bin/sh syntax config files, in
> >/etc/dbconfig-common/$package.config.  i've attached an example config
> >file for reference.
> OK, that's good. You're still using debconf to ask these config
> questions though?

yeah.  basically, i'm trying to work with the "debconf is not a registry"
ethos, and give the local admin a more straightforward way of modifying
the configuration.  i'm also toying around with a script that reads
these config files and outputs the same information in formats parseable
by other languages (perl, php, et c), which could then be included by
the main config file for web apps and the like.  however, this adds yet
another level of indirection so i have to think more carefully about
how that would be done.

> >if you want to use a bootstrapping script due to its cross distro
> >nature,
> Not really, my main aim is to move maintenance of bootstrapping scripts
> from us to you ;-)

aha :)  well i'm also open to adding non-debian support to the package,
if there are other package management system hooks that could be put
in place.  debconf sure does make life a lot easier though.

        sean