Re: [Gnumed-devel] using dbconfig-common in gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] using dbconfig-common in gnumed
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:16:46 +0100

> This is not just a packager's issue, as it would largely replace our own
> Python bootstrapping script. [Of course there would be nothing to stop
> people from still using that script, but it would likely be left
> unmaintained]
What makes you think that ? I am not on Debian and I remember
writing lots of code for the bootstrapper.

> Advantages:-
>       - relieves maintenance of the bootstrapper and Psql.py, including
> connecting, making databases, etc..
Making a database is but a speck on what the bootstrapper
does.

>       - does upgrading, which we are yet to tackle.
I doubt that that's going to be any more useful than what we
could write in a handful of lines of shell code. And we know
what we deal with why they can just second-guess (although
that may be just fine in the generic case).

> Disadvantages:
>       - ties us to Debian, others need to run .sqls manually or use another
> script
Not in my time.